[trip style = any]
Sometimes travel requires MacGyver moments: using what you have to do what you need. I loved watching MacGyver (1985-92) navigate any circumstance with his eternally optimistic troubleshooting skills---something we often have to do while travelling. Since we can't bring the whole kitchen sink with us on vacation, here are some alternate MacGyver-like uses for common hotel room amenities:
Hotel Room Amenities for Everyday Needs
- The shower: Hang garments on the shower curtain rod or towel rod and run the shower on hot to freshen and de-wrinkle them [preferably you're in the shower so you don't waste water].
- Coffee maker: If you're travelling with a baby, warm or sterilize their bottle in the coffee pot filled with boiling water [a Gadling tip].
- Shoe: No wine bottle opener in the room? No problem. Use your shoe to open the bottle of wine.
- Laundry bag: Use for dirty clothes or wet bathing suits.
- Shower cap: To cover dirty shoes or protect your phone and/or camera at the pool or beach [see hotelchatter for additional tips].
- Ice bucket: Sans fridge? Use the ice bucket filled with ice to keep groceries, take-out or leftovers cool.
- Vodka in the mini-bar: Does the underarm area of your shirt need a pick-me-up? Mix vodka and water on a washcloth and apply to affected area to freshen the scent. Also apply directly to the armpit if you forget your deodorant. If using the dual-pronged approach, don't be surprised if someone asks if you had a 'rough night' in the hotel elevator.
- Shower gel: Use in place of bubble bath or use to wash undergarments.
- Shoe shine gloves: Clean your dirty laptop or phone screen [a HeatherLovesIt tip].
- Sewing kit: The original MacGyver in-case-of-emergency travel tool.
Hotel Room Amenities for Beauty Needs
- Tea bags: Run under hot water to cool and de-puff your tired eyes [a Jauntsetter tip].
- Hand lotion: Use as a makeshift hair smoother and de-frizzer.
- Conditoner: Forgot your shaving cream? Using conditioner in its place won't dry legs like soap or clog your razor like lotion... yep, I've tried both.
[photo via paramount]