As Vancouver and Whistler launch into their final preparations to welcome the world, the Olympic Games are just over 20 days away! As a Vancouverite, I'm in the 'excited for the games' camp. For the vast majority staying in town, the general buzz is one of pride and anticipation for what's to come. Overnight, our lifestyle-driven, sea and mountainside turf will go from modest Canadian city to budding metropolis. Normally you have to travel to experience an overnight change this significant, but in this case, both locals and visitors can travel together!
If you don't have tickets to any events, no worries, there is a host of free 2010 activities going on in and around Vancouver and Whistler. For a full list of free Olympic Activities, check out http://www.citycaucus.com/2010freevenues
My Top Picks: Free 2010 Activities
- Vectorial Elevation :: A giant consumer generated light show over the Burrard Inlet :: dusk to dawn :: English Bay/Kits
- Laser Waterworks Show :: Nightly :: David Lam Park Yaletown
- Ice Skate at the GE Plaza :: Robson Square :: open 12 - 9pm daily :: skate rentals $3
- Heineken House :: Celebrate Dutch athletes and drink beer :: Minoru Arenas 7551 Minoru Gate, Richmond
- LiveCity Downtown :: See demonstration sports, entertainment and on-screen programming :: Georgia & Beatty
- LiveCity Yaletown :: Live arts, entertainment, pavilions, sponsor tents, refreshment and on-screen sport highlights :: David Lam Park
- Nightly Medal Ceremonies in Vancouver and Whistler :: not free but reasonable - tickets from $22 :: featuring athletes and world-renown singers :: BC Place and the Whistler Celebration Centre
- O-Zone Richmond :: 60-acre celebration :: Ice art, outdoor skating, athletes, virtual reality, food, fireworks :: Canada Line Brighouse Station
- Vancouver Art Gallery :: BC, Canada Pavilion :: 9am - 9pm daily :: catch the Renoir exhibit too!