[trip style = any]
I was recently discussing packing techniques with a friend, who was setting off on a five-week trip to Hong Kong, Perth and Bali, when she told me she's not bringing a jacket. "Not even a jean jacket?" I asked. "No!" she replied, after which we discussed that we always pack a denim jacket no matter where or when we travel.
Jean jackets are, of course, the Official Jacket of Travel™. I'm only partially joking as the two things you're guaranteed to find in my suitcase are jeans and a jean jacket no matter where I go. It truly is the all-season staple that survives all trends and thrives in all climates.
Speaking of trends, if we can learn anything from fashion week runways and street style this year, it's that denim is back: denim on denim, colored denim, printed denim, ruffled denim and oversized denim. While you can never go wrong with a classic look, the biggest trends in jean jackets this spring are distressed and embellished denim.
- While the clock runs out on winter, transition your jacket to spring by layering it under a wool coat.
- Add dimension to an all-black or all-white look with a denim jacket.
- Channel Kelly Kapowski in a cropped and colored jean jacket.
- Add structure to a dress or feminine skirt with a cropped or oversized jacket.
- Roll or scrunch up the cuffs for a casual, relaxed look.
- Button up the jacket all the way to wear it as a shirt.
- Pair a denim jacket with heels and a bold clutch for a polished look with personality.
GUYS :: Layer a denim jacket under a tailored blazer or over a chunky sweater. Wear it with anything from wool pants to navy chinos, with a buttoned shirt or a Breton striped tee.
This post is written by Trip Styler's Assistant Wayfarer/Editor Heather.
[streetstyle photos via collage vintage, stockholm street style, we wore what, majawyh, wylde splash news, elle.com, style.com; menswear photos by tommy ton & robert spangle]